The children in South Africa typically live in orphanages that are run like small group homes. When required, the children receive specialized medical care and there is a high caretaker
to child ratio.
Children from South Africa:
• Boys & girls ages 2-8
• Sibling Groups
• Children with physical or mental disabilities of any age
• Children with chronic illness
• Children will reflect the full range of ethnicity that exists in South Africa
Married couples, single women, single men, and LGBT parents must submit their dossier to South Africa prior to their 48th birthday
• Dossier submission to referral 6-12 months
• Travel approximately 3-4 months after acceptance of referral
• Post-adoption reports required at 6 and 12 months, and annually for 5 years after the child comes home
Travel: One trip of 6 weeks to South Africa
Timeline: It is expected that families will wait up to 6-12 months for a referral of a child after their dossier is submitted. Following acceptance of referral from the South African Central Authority, families will be eligible to travel to South Africa to complete their adoption after filing appropriate paperwork with U.S. immigration.