The adoption process from Hungary is a small one, though very straight forward. Families and agencies report that this program is running very smoothly. This program is a Hague country.
- Typically children available are 24 months of age and up to age 15.
- Many sibling groups are available.
- Many children under 5 years of age have specific medical issues such as orthopedic, hearing, eyesight etc. and some correctable medical surgical issues.
- Most of the children in sibling groups are toddler age and up.
- The ethnic background of most of the children available is Caucasian Hungarian and Roma ancestry and children typically appear with dark hair, eyes and fair to olive complexion.
- Families receive a referral of a child within the approved criteria of home study, given by the Hungarian Ministry. Referral information includes photos, full medical evaluation and history, and psychological assessment. If the child is in school of any kind, there may also be a school assessment.
Parent Qualifications for Adopting from Hungary:
- Hungarian law specifies an age limit for the adoptive parents.
- Adoptive parents must be at least 16 years older than their adoptive child, but no more than 45 years older. The age difference is calculated based on the age of the younger adoptive parent. If the adoptive children are siblings, the age of the older sibling is taken into consideration.
- Hungarian law does allow single people to adopt. However, Hungarian authorities may not encourage these adoptions based on the strongly held opinion that a child should be raised by a married couple in a traditional family.
- There is no limit to the number of current children living in the home for adoption from Hungary
- There is no income requirement for adoptive parents in Hungary, however parents must submit a proof of income
- Parents must be in reasonable health and have no medical conditions that would limit their ability to parent
- Both adoptive parents must meet the child prior to adoption according to Hungarian law
Travel: Both parents must travel for a trip of 35-45 days.
Timeline: The average time from completion of country application (dossier) to match with child is estimated to be 8-12 months.