The Guyana Adoption Program is a small and relatively new program at the time of this writing (late 2014).
Children Available for Adoption from Guyana:
Children available for adoption from Guyana range from toddlers to older children. Guyanese children are usually of African, East Indian, Amerindian or Asian descent. Many children are of mixed ethnicity, as there is quite a melting pot of different ethnicities in Guyana. Most children will have brown eyes, light brown or dark brown skin, and black or brown hair. Children are available for adoption due to neglect or abuse, abandonment, or death of one or both parents in most cases.
Most commonly, children available from Guyana:
- Healthy boys and girls 3 years and older
- Children with special needs and older children
- Two or more siblings at one time
- Two or more unrelated children at one time
In addition to the USCIS eligibility requirements for prospective adoptive parent(s), Guyana has the following requirements.
- Citizenship: One parent must be a U.S. citizen
- Age: Adoptive parents must be at least 25 years of age and at least 17 years older than the adoptive child. There should be no more than 50 years between the age of the parents and children. In special circumstances, one parent may fall within this range if the other does not.
- Marriage Status:Married couples should be married at least 3 years, and common law married couples should be in a stable relationship for at least 5 years. There are no specific prior divorce restrictions. Single women may also adopt a child of either gender.
- Income: There is no minimum income required. However, you need to meet the income requirements provided by USCIS for the child to immigrate.
- Medical: There are no specific restrictions, but if you have a medical condition, please contact our adoption consultant to determine your eligibility.
- Children in Home: No specific restrictions have been identified.
Travel: Travel will include 2 trips. The first after referral, and the 2nd to pick up your child. Please speak with an adoption professional to determin timelines for travel.
Timeline: The timeframe to complete international adoption from Guyana is currently estimated at about 22 to 33 months, depending on the time families take to complete their dossier paperwork, their preferences for age and special needs, and country processes. This is a pilot program, so all timelines are estimated at this point. The wait for a referral is generally 12-18 months. Children ages 6 or older may be referred as soon as 6 to 8 months.