Families interested in adopting from this country should research the program and adoption agencies placing the children. Few adoption agencies are currently working with Serbia.
Children Available: Due to Serbia’s strong domestic adoption program, infants and young healthy children are not available for international adoption. The special needs of the children range from Down Syndrome, cerebral palsy, cleft lip/palate, Autism Spectrum Disorders to mild developmental or institutional delays to sibling groups or older children.
Parent Qualifications for Adopting from Serbia:
- Parents should be over the age of 25 and no more than 45 years older than the children they hope to adopt.
- Parents over 46 years may be considered for the adoption of older children.
- Married couples and single mothers may adopt from Serbia.
- Families should have a good health history and no criminal history.
- Adoptive parents with diagnosed mental disorders or infectious disease can not adopt from Serbia.
Travel: Once the Serbian government provides you with your travel dates, only one trip is required. Both parents must travel to Serbia for at least a 3 week duration.
Timeline: Contact adoption agency for the most current timeline for Serbian adoptions.