International adoption from the country of Taiwan is a small program. Taiwan is a developed nation with an educated populace and good infrastructure. Children who cannot be parented by their families of birth are first available for domestic adoption within Taiwan. Approval of birthparents or the birthfamily is often part of the process.
Children available for Adoption from Taiwan: There are often siblings and relatively healthy toddlers available through this program. Boys and girls of all ages, sibilng groups and waiting children are available for adoption to qualifying families. Medicals and social backgrounds are excellent. Families wishing to adopt from Taiwan often receive very detailed information on children, including videos. Most children available for international adoption in Taiwan have complex backgrounds and may have difficult social histories that are similar to those of children coming from the US foster care system. Some are orphans, whereas most have living parents who are unable to care for them. Children live in foster families or institutions, and are generally very well prepared for their adoption. Pre-adoptive families will be able to communicate with their child regularly (if age 3+) through SKYPE sessions prior to traveling to adopt.
- Couples, ages 25-55, married two or more years may adopt from Taiwan.
- No more than 1 divorce each
- No more than 3 children in the home if adopting an older child
- Families requesting a child under 6 should be no more than 40 years or older than the child, and have be no more than 1 child in the home
- Applicants must be in excellent physical and mental health and have no criminal record
- Proof of financial stability
- Single applications are not being accepted at this time.
Timeline: Typically the process for a referral is much quicker with waiting children. Families open to a school aged child, a sibling group with a school aged child or a child with an indentified medical need, can request a match with a waiting child and be home with the child in about a year. Eligibility requirements are generally more flexible, photos and medical information can be reviewed prior to match, and adoption subsidies are often available for waiting children.
Travel: Both parents must travel to Taiwan for approximately 7 days and will typically happen 10-15 months after referral.