Overview of Adoption from China
The China Adoption Program is considered a stable, established program that has successfully brought thousands of children into adoptive families. Chinese adoption is noted for its orderly process, where all aspects of the adoption process are clearly outlined, including costs and travel time. There are thousands of children waiting for adoption in China, right now, who are photolisted on the RainbowKids Waiting Child listing and can be matched to families quickly!
Parent Qualifications for COUPLES:
- Couples married a minimum of two years (minimum of five years if there is a history of divorce)
- No more than two divorces per parent
- Applicants should be 30 to 50 years of age. Exceptions sometimes may be made for those older than 49 who wish to adopt school-age children.
- No serious physical health diagnosis (BMI must be no greater than 40; inquire about history of major surgery, vision/hearing impairments, mobility limitations, chronic or long-term health diagnoses)
- No mental health diagnosis (inquire about mental health including mild depression, anxiety or similarly mild conditions)
- No history of drug use or dependency; where there is a history of alcohol abuse, consideration given for individuals with 10 or more years of alcohol-free lifestyle
- Minimal criminal history
- Minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum annual income of $30,000 + $10,000 per each child currently living in home Minimum net worth of $80,000
Parent Qualifications for SINGLE WOMEN:
- Only Children on the Special Focus List (more about this below) are available to single women.
- Must have at least a one-year interval since previous adoption
- Between 30-49 years of age at time paperwork is submitted to CCAA; may be 50+ years of age provided there are no more than 45 years age difference between the child and the applicant;
- Have no more than two children under 18 years of age in the home, and the youngest child must be older than 5 of age at time of application;
- Be able to appoint appropriate male role models for the adopted child;
- Have a strong social and family network to support applicant and adopted child(ren)
- Submit divorce decree in case of having a history of divorce or death certificate for deceased husband where applicable; Be in excellent physical and mental health, in line with CCAA’s requirements for prospective adoptive couples;
- Have no criminal record; Have a minimum annual income of $30,000 with net assets valuing at least $100,000;
- Have good medical insurance which will cover the medical expenses of the adopted child;
- Applicants with successful experience caring for children with special needs are preferred.
Travel: At least one parent must travel to China to complete the adoption. Travel time is most often 10-14 days.
Timeline: Adopting a child from china can be completed in under one year for motivated families who complete their paperwork in a timely manner. Adopting a Waiting Child, like those featured on RainbowKids, significantly speeds up the process.