Mexico has a small but growing adoption program. **As a caution: Many US families seek to adopt minor-age relatives from Mexico. Please be aware that a full Hague-adoption procedure must be followed. Traveling to Mexico and adopting a child domestically through the Mexico system will not allow those children to travel back to the USA. Whether or not the child is a relative, the child must be adopted through a US Hague-approved adoption agency.
Children Available for Adoption from Mexico: The children available for adoption are of Mexican heritage. Children 5 years and older are available, as well as younger children with special needs depending on the state from which you adopt. This adoption program is a wonderful opportunity for families wishing to adopt a child with minor special needs, or older children. Although younger children are sometimes available, families need to be open to a child 4 years and older, unless they are open to a child with special needs.
- Adoptive applicants may be married couples or single women.
- The younger parent must not have an age difference of more than 50 years with the adopted child.
- Prospective adoptive parents must be over 25 years of age and at least 17 yars older that the child.
- Prospective adoptive parents must demonstrate the means to support the physical and educational needs of the child.
Timeline: Time frames may vary depending on the child as the requirements of the state that is processing the case. Once the dossier is submitted in Mexican courts, it may take 6 – 12 months to complete the adoption process.
Travel: Time frames may vary based on requirements of the state you are adopting from.
- First trip ~ 1-3 weeks duration to meet the child
- Second trip ~ 2 weeks duration to process adoption at US Embassy and bring child home