Thailand has a small adoption program, which is run by the Thai government. Agencies working with the Thailand government usually have very well established programs, with some agencies even running their own orphanages in Thailand. The program is longer than most adoption programs, but the children are no less deserving! Some agencies specialize in healthy young children, and others place special needs children or a combination. When researching agencies, be sure an ask about their waiting times, length or process and type of children placed.
Children Available for Adoption from Thailand : Healthy and special needs children, many with minor, correctable conditions, ages 15 months to 15 years are available, especially boys. At this time the Thailand Department of Public Welfare is not accepting new applications for healthy babies. Thailand provides background information, and health and developmental information on the children. All children are tested for HIV and Hepatitis B.
- Married couples with or without children may apply, although small families are preferred.
- Child in the home must be at least 18 months old at time of application
- Both parents must be at least twenty-five years old with a total of no more than two divorces between them.
- Married a minimum or 3 years
- While there is no upper age limit per se, applicants over age 50 must be pre-approved, and applicants over 55 are discouraged.
- Single women are considered on a case-by-case basis by a few adoption agencies.
Travel: Both parents are required to travel to complete the adoption process. Parents must be prepared to stay approximately ten days.
Timeline: Application through placement is approximately 2-3 years.