Thousands of children living in institutions and foster-care in China are in need of advocacy. These children have medical and developmental files that are 3, 5, and sometimes even 8 or 9 years out-of-date. Volunteers are greatly needed to travel to China this Fall and participate in one or more trips to update the files of these children and help create new opportunities for them to be matched with loving families!
Gladney Center for Adoption is planning a series of trips to China during October, November, and December 2016 to perform medical and developmental screenings for adoptable children. These trips follow a recent initiative by the China Centre for Children’s Welfare and Adoption (CCCWA) to increase the chances of adoption for thousands of children living in orphanages, most of whom have medical needs or who are older. Gladney Center will support this initiative and send teams of medical volunteers and other professionals to update the background files of the children already cleared for international adoption. Gladney Center is seeking qualified volunteers to join us on these trips!
The trips to China will vary to some extent, as each trip will focus on a specific region (and certain social welfare institutes within that region). Gladney Staff and volunteers will spend approximately one week in one or more social welfare institutes screening and interacting directly with the children. Volunteers will have the opportunity to make a difference in the opportunity for the children to be adopted and grow up in a family. Volunteers will be immersed within the community of the orphanage and will be interacting with the children and the professionals who care for them. The visits will give each participant an in-depth understanding of how institutions for abandoned children provide services and daily care.
Gladney seeks volunteers with varied personal and professional backgrounds. Most important is that each member seek to learn about the strengths and challenges of each child that is met. The work will be inspiring, humbling and emotional. For this reason we are looking for mature volunteers that are culturally competent and sensitive. A successful team will be comprised of individuals with differing backgrounds. Volunteers will bring their own equipment.
Each team will be comprised of seven members:
- Gladney Center Adoption Worker --
Role: To act as the team leader and as an expert in the field and act as an ambassador for international adoption.
- Medical Volunteers: (2 persons) (E.g., Physician, Nurse, Physical Therapist, Occupational Therapist, Developmental Psychologist. Medical volunteers should have pediatric experience) --
Role: To use health care expertise in meeting, observing and screening children living in the social welfare institutes.
- Photographer – Role: To use experience photographing children as a hobby or profession to capture photographs and videos to represent children in their daily environment.
- Adoption Advocate / Floater -- Role: To support all team members in a variety of tasks and facilitate a smooth running of daily activity. To have a good understanding of the responsibilities of team members and be flexible and proactive in helping where needed.
Trip Logistics and Details
Four to six trips to specific provinces in China are being planned. Gladney can accommodate medical volunteers during an extended period of time in China if participation on multiple trips is being considered.
Proposed Trip Dates (to be confirmed):
- Friday, October 7, 2016 to Sunday, October 16, 2016: Jiangxi, China (90 children)
- Friday, October 21, 2016 to Sunday, October 30, 2016 – Anhui & Gansu, China (80 children)
- Saturday, November 12th, 2016 to Saturday, November 19th, 2016 – Hebei, China (50 children)
- Friday, November 18, 2016 to Saturday, November 26, 2016 – Guizhou, China (90 children)
- TBD based on need: One or two trips in December, 2016.
- Must be an advocate for adoption and believe that every child deserves a family
- Must be in good health
- Must be comfortable with international travel
- Must be informed, respectful of, and sensitive to international cultures
- Prior participation in humanitarian aid projects preferred (service trips, medical missions, child and family welfare volunteerism)
- Team members must be at least 18 years of age.
Teachers, mental health workers, social workers, and others with professional experience working with children in a strength based and developmentally informed manner are encouraged to apply.
The cost of this trip is $3,000. This cost includes:
- Roundtrip airfare between the USA and China
- Lodging in China
- Lunch and dinner daily
A limited number of scholarships are available based on financial need.
* * *
For more information or to request a trip application contact Wendy Stanley, Gladney Center, Director of Asia Programs
Program Social Services, firstname.lastname@example.org
Founded over 135 years ago, The Gladney Center for Adoption is a Hague accredited, adoption agency with international and domestic adoption programs. With adoption programs in Asia, Gladney is able to help parents adopt children of all ages. In each region that we work, we are excited to offer International Waiting Child Programs to help children who are part of a sibling group, who may be older, or have a medical need, to find a loving family and a permanent home. Gladney is able to work with families residing in all 50 U.S. states and provides individualized casework services to each family throughout the adoption process.
If you are considering adoption from Asia and would like information about our Superkids program, please contact email@example.com.