Lithuania offers an opportunity to adopt special needs children and sibling groups through a well-organized adoption process. This is a small adoption program.
Children Available for Adoption from Lithuania: Caucasian children and sibling groups They range in age from 6 months-15 years. Lithuania offers special needs children to U.S. adopting families. The majority of special needs are moderate to more severe. The majority of children range in age from 3-15. Both girls and boys are available. The majority of children live in orphanages.mParents can make requests as to age, health status, and gender.
Parent Qualifications for Adopting from Lithuania:
- Be a married couple for at least 2 ½ years
- Be at least 18 years older than the child
- Adoptive parents can be registered only on the list of children with special needs unless one parent is a Lithuanian citizen Adoptive parents should not be more than 50 years of age. Exception can be made if parent is in good health and there is a spouse under age 50
- Previous divorce is acceptable
- Lithuanian Central Authority prefers the adopted child to be the youngest in the family but it is not a requirement.
- Certain medical conditions can disqualify prospective adoptive parents. Speak to program coordinator for more details
- Adopting families must be of the Christian faith
Travel: Lithuania requires 1, 2 or rarely 3 trips to finalize an adoption. The number of trips depends on the decision of the judge at court. 90% of our families receive an urgent execution at court and are able to finalize their adoption in 1 trip. A 2 ½ - 3 week stay is required to finalizemthe adoption in one trip.
Timeline: Total estimated time to bringing your child home is 10-12 months if you have identified a child you hope to adopt. Agencies often know of waiting children with special needs who can be matched immediately. Travel typically occurs 3-4 months after referral.