Children available for adoption from El Salvador are representative of all the ethnic groups within the country. Salvadorian officals are committed to finding families for children with special needs.
Children Available for Adoption from El Salvador:
- Salvadorian government gives highest preference for children under 5 years of age to people of Salvadorian descent but exeptions may be made when the child has some special needs.
- Waiting sibling groups are ready for placement.
- Special needs considered managable by adoptive US families include; heart murmur, missing limbs, cleft lip and cleft palate, club foot, HIV/AIDS, seizures, and diabetes to name a few.
- Couples must be married for at least 5 years.
- Couples between 25 and 45 are eligible to adopt children 6-months old and older. With each year over 45, an additional year is added the minimum age of the child. For example, couples aged 46 are eligible to adopt children 1 year and older.
- Singles may also adopt children using the age guidelines above.
Travel: One trip of approximately 2 weeks is required, with one parent needing to stay in-country the entire time.
Timeline: Timeline is variable depending on the child. A family who seeks to adopt a child without known medical issues will wait longer than a family who is open to special needs or sibling groups.