The Colombian adoption program is considered well-established and stable. We have a wonderful series of articles from a recent advocacy trip to Colombia, where we personally witnessed the high level of care for the children.
In recent years, the Colombia program has actively moved towards advocating for their waiting children. There are MANY sibling groups in need of adoption in Colombia. Families wishing to adopt a sibling group should know that Colombia is one of the only countries that has no additional in-country fees for siblings. Meaning that the in-country fee is the same regardless of the number of children adopted.
Children Available for Adoption from Colombia:
- Sibling groups of only two children will usually include one child who is over the age of 8 years
- Sibling groups of ALL ages
- Special needs (both minor and moderate) children of all ages. Special needs can be quite minor in children of 3-4 years of age. Please inquire if this is the age range you are interested in adopting.
- Sibling groups of 3 or more children are very common in Colombia
- Families may choose gender of their child
- Healthy children over age 8 years
Children Eligible for Adoption by Colombian Heritage Families: Healthy infants, toddlers, and young children
- Single men and women and married couples may adopt from Colombia.
- Single men may adopt boys who are over 8 years of age
- Single women may adopt boys or girls who are over 8 years of age or who have a special medical or developmental needs
- No more than 3 previous marriages per spouse
- Couples should be married at least 2.5 years for first marriage and 3 years for a second marriage
- Applicants should be 25 to 60 years of age
- Psychological Evaluation required
- Travel for Adoption in Colombia: Both parents must travel. One parent may return home after 10 days. The total duration of travel time varies by region at this time. Ask your adoption agency for more information. Some adoption may be completed in under 3 weeks total time. Others may take up to 5 weeks.
Timeline: If adopting an identified waiting child or sibling group, an adoption may be completed in under a year (even less for families motivated to complete their paperwork quickly). Families adopting infants or young toddlers may have a longer process due to the need to match to a child.