Adoption by Americans from Burkina Faso is very new. Families should be aware that this program is small and only a few agencies have programs.
Children Available: At time of referral, children are ages toddler to 10 years of age (some older children may be available). Children are tested for HIV, TB, and Hepatitis C prior to referral. Children come from orphanages in Burkina Faso. Some children may come from a private Christian orphanages. Special needs range from minor to severe.
Parent qualifications for Adopting from Burkina Faso:
- Adoptive parents may be 30 - 50 years of age and must be at least 15 years and no more than 45 years older than the child being adopted.
- Only Married couples can apply. Minimum of 5 years of marriage
- No more than 4 children living in the home
- Parents should be in good physical and psychological health.
- All visitors to Burkina Faso are required to show proof of yellow fever vaccination upon entry.
- If you are concerned that you have a disability that could affect your adoption, please contact your agency.
Travel: Both adoptive parents travel to Burkina Faso to meet their child prior to the court hearing. U.S. immigration laws also require both adoptive parents to meet the child prior to court in order for the child to automatically receive U.S. citizenship upon entering the U.S.A. Expect 2 weeks travel time. Escorts are available if a family is unable to travel but family travel is strongly encouraged.
Time Line: Refer to placing adoption agency for most current up to date timelines